Monday, September 10, 2007

Australian Cattle Dog gets UD in Three Trials


Zaret's Cream City Huzzi Bear was my second obedience dog (after Tess, the husky), but "Huzzi" was my first UD. I bought her when she was 6 months old and instantly fell in love with her intensity and rock solid loyalty. Unfortunately, I wasn't an astute trainer and had no idea how to control her dynamite personalty. She was a great dog, but due to my ignorance of obvious sociability problems, Huzzi occasional showed aggression to strangers on her home turf. Unfortunately, a couple of people were bitten. Thankfully none were serious bites and I never forgot what that experience taught me: Never ignore, deny, or make excuses for antisocial behavior. Instead, work to increase the dog's level of self control through formal training )especially especially off leash control) and you'll reduce the level of aggressive tendencies in direct proportion.

Sadly, after earning her American and Canadian UD a year earlier, Huzzi suddenly went blind at the age of five from metabolic toxic retinopathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home